
But through the pain I prevailed, spurred on by the promise of culture and the distracting powers of live music, I once again enjoyed the Sydney Festival. I also welcomed my favourite Finn Heidi to Australia, and she revealed that she and Manu were expecting their first child! Several months later I met the gorgeous boy Tino in Singapore.
It was a year where I experimented with my hair: first into a bob, then an Edie Sedwick-style crop, then a very short pixie cut and finally, a vibrant Pink for new years!


I turned 30 in 2009 (but clearly haven't grown up much, if the pink hair is taken as evidence!), and celebrated a significant milestone in my life by gaining my Permanent Residency of Australia. I continued my love of film by visiting Adelaide for the film festival. However, after three years working in the Aussie film industry, 2009 saw me move into theatre, taking my career in a new direction and bringing a much-welcomed change.
The Royal Easter Show was a highlight of 2009, as I was introduced to the wonders of rural Australia: the chooks, prize bulls, rodeo and best of all, the woodchop.

After my accident at the beginning of the year, I set myself some sporting challenges, and realised how inspiring and motivating it can be to meet these milestones in the company of thousands of others. I ran the 14k City 2 Surf in August, and cycled 90k from Sydney to Wollongong in November. Thanks to everyone who sponsored me and helped raise money for MS Australia.

In 2009 I enjoyed not one but two Chrismtasses; as well as the traditional December celebration where I joined my friend Nick's family, I also hosted Christmas in July for my Northern Hemisphere chums so we could enjoy Chrimbo in the winter.
I journeyed to our nation's Capital twice in 2009, in pursuit of culture -- once with Lucy to see the Vanity Fair exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, and once with a bunch of friends to marvel at some beautiful paintings on loan from the Musee D'Orsay in Paris.
And, of course, one of the most important things I did in 2009 was embark upon a hugely ambitious trip to Europe, seeing many of you in my four-week whistle-stop tour.
Gazing back at my new year's resolutions from a year ago, I realise I've been surprisingly good at keeping up with them! I have just completed Semester 1 of a Spanish course and start Semester 2 in February. I have been diligent about progressing with Pilates and swimming, and I'm taking a stroke correction course to improve my front crawl so I can do ocean swimming in 2010. I've neglected the yoga somewhat, so must get back into that this year. All in all I've spent less time at work and more time with friends, which has been hugely rewarding.
So let's hope 2010 starts off a little better -- don't worry I'm avoiding pool parties this year! Here are a few thoughts I've had for 2010 resolutions.
CULINARY
Experiment more in the kitchen, widen my culinary vocabulary and try out at least two new recipes a month
ENVIRONMENTAL
Build a proper vegetable garden, become more self-sufficient, learn more about growing vegetables and seasonal produce
PERSONAL
Continue to improve my back and health, learn Spanish, grow my hair out (!) and pursue happiness
I hope you all had happy and healthy years, and wish everyone the best for 2010 and the new decade. I look forward to hearing your tales of 2009 and your hopes for 2010.
Much love,
Your Antipodean blogger,
cx

1 comment:
Happy New Year carmel and good luck with the resolutions. Wish I had the discipline to define mine like that :-)
Keep blogging always love them xxxx
Post a Comment