Anyway, being the thoroughly grown-up woman that I am (!) and choosing to embrace this summery Australian way of life, I chose to spend my birthday party (yesterday) playing Lawn Bowls at Waverley Lawn Bowls club (an RSL with a green at the side). I added a dash of Englishness by calling it a 'Lawn Bowls and Pimms' party, but in reality, the thing that added the Englishness was the weather. Yes, grey skies all around and it drizzled throughout our two hours on the green. Boo. But we soldiered on and, determined to enjoy ourselves, got stuck in, bare feet on the green and all. (Pics to come.) Then back to mine for drinks and a barbie -- a great way to celebrate turning 30. My friends got me some lovely presents and of course were all fantastic company. What a lovely bunch of people.

This week has primarily been all about medical matters, strangely! On Tuesday I went for a Skin Cancer check-up. Australians recommend going once every year or so, as we do live under the hole in the ozone layer and thus are more prone to skin cancer. The woman there checked all my freckles and moles under a magnifying glass and told me to start paying attention to them when they change. Anyway, got the all-clear for that one.
Then on Thursday I had my medical tests for my immigration. They don't let you stay in Aus lightly -- I had to have an X-Ray for TB, an HIV test, a full medical exam, eye test, urine test, blood pressure test, etc etc. I felt like I was in a refugee camp, being pushed around all these doctors and asked impertinent questions! Anyway, at least I speak English, I felt sorry for the many people in the waiting room with me who didn't. My friends have been telling me that once you decide to stay in the lucky country, they check your health and bone structure to check if you're able to pop out the next Don Bradman. All boils down to cricket, apparently.
So, subject to me passing the medicals, the police checks and getting together the various paperwork that's involved, I should be able to file for Permanent Residency in the next few weeks. This will be a huge relief. In the current Global Economic Crisis there's nothing like a bit of security. I certainly don't want to be chucked out of this country any time soon!
Speaking of leaving the country, my UK trip may be postponed until September. I'm currently having wranglings with my boss about this so will let you know as soon as I book my ticket what my dates are.
Ah, it's bedtime now, and tomorrow I will wake up on my 30th birthday. I know I'm going on about it a lot, but I'm very excited. Hopefully I'm making all you Daniels bods feel very old. Yes, the first of 'the cousins' hits their 30s! I'm going in to work tomorrow but not for the whole day. A bunch of us are off to watch the Oscars, which are on from midday-4pm in Aus (much more civilised than the middle of the night as per the UK!). Fingers crossed for Slumdog Millionaire!
cx

4 comments:
Happy 30th Birthday sweetie! Love you loads.....mum x
What exactly does Permanent Residency mean - do you get a passport or just a permanent visa?
Debs
x
Interesting question, I will explain all in a blog post. Hopefully once my PR has been granted! cx
Enjoyed reading this, well as 4 months older person, 30s great so far! It feels right to claim ownership of life decisions and uncertainty of 20s. Its gonna be more fun!
Post a Comment