Sydney is a foodie's paradise, and I know that the abundance of good, fresh, divine-tasting and relatively inexpensive food is a large part of the appeal for me of living here. However, arriving back home during October (the month of the
Sydney International Food Festival) made me acutely aware of the snobbery we Sydneysiders have about our food. When I first told people I was going to Europe for five weeks, once the envy died away, it was replaced with pity, because
what was I going to eat for five weeks, and
good luck finding a decent coffee in London!...
So, it was with pleasant relief that I dined my way round Europe. Yes, the coffee in London is on the whole diabolical, but I found a superb cafe hidden away in Dalston called
Tina We Salute You which fed me my bean, and, lo and behold, I had some wonderful culinary experiences while overseas. Here are some of the more memorable.
Gorgeous beef in 'Les Trois Garcons' for Jess' b-day
Jana's b-day chocolate cake baked by Noreen
Breakfast in 'The Blue Legume' Stoke Newington with Touf. Waffles and fruit, my favourite!
Curry night in 'The Carpenter's Arms' in Pocklington with dad
Pippa and I put on quite a spread for the Leeds family gathering
Pub lunch in the Dales with Granny
Greek beef in 'Mythica' in Corfu
Mum and I had a cheeky dessert while Keith played a gig in Corfu
Fresh figs from the tree in mum's garden in Corfu
When in Italy, gotta have pizza! Lunch with Sheila in Verona
Deborah's homemade tiramisu in Milan
Delicious pork with a gorgeous loganberry sauce in Heidelberg, Germany
Tapas in Liverpool near FACT, for Abandon Normal Devices
Fish in Liverpool docks with Jana
Vegetarian Thai in 'Mildred's' in Soho
Paella in Covent Garden with Siobhan and Sammie
Turkish kebab in Dalston with Mr Dan Smith
Ros and Fabrice treat me to cake from their local patisserie in Paris
Pancakes, bacon and maple syrup at 'The Breakfast Club' in Hoxton
The best curry in London, Noreen's homemade curry. Farewell dinner at Princess May RoadAnd what a culinary journey it was! It was lovely to share food with my family and friends while visiting, for me this is the purest expression of love, and I hope to dine with you again soon.
Meanwhile, back in Sydney, I'm training for the
Sydney to the Gong. Cycling 90k from Sydney to Woollongong on 1 November will be made all the more difficult due to my 5 weeks in Europe doing nothing but eating the food above, drinking lots of booze and doing no more exercise than pootling around looking at the sights! I'm very scared, but determined to achieve it. If you haven't supported me yet, please sponsor me
here and help me reach my goal of $1000. It's all for a good cause, fighting Multiple Sclerosis. (For those of you in the UK, it's about £1=$2.)
Ooh, all those pictures have made me hungry, I'd better pop off and make some dinner.
cx
*pats stomach in a satisfied way*
3 comments:
Truly Scrumptious! x
What a great entry! How can anybody NOT like food?! I'm off to lunch with home-made soup! But still the favourite would be Turkish food in Dalston. That's just the best! jx
Rulps!
What?
Don't worry, hear comes your friendly neighbourhood translator ->
Burp!
Post a Comment