Thursday, 5 November 2009

Sydney to the Gong

More posts on Europe to come, but meanwhile, take a look at what I got up to last weekend.

As many of you know, I signed up for the annual Sydney to the Gong ride: a 90k cycle to raise money to help people living with MS in Australia. As both of my grandfathers suffered from MS it is a cause close to my heart, and I was determined to raise as much money as I could, while training for this incredible feat.

Nick and Jen at the Start line


On a gloriously sunny Spring day (approaching 30 degrees!) my friends and I gathered at Sydney Park in the inner west. I cycled over 13k just to get to the start line so technically I only needed to do about 8 more of those and I was done!

The route took us through the glorious Royal National Park, down the coast towards Woollongong (the 'gong!) and they'd shut off the park to cars especially to let 10,000 cyclists have the place to themselves.

Jenny cruises in the National Park


As well as steep upward hills there were some cruisy downhill sections, and one of our team broke the 70kph barrier coasting down one of those!

The 'killer' hill in the middle came just before we rounded a corner for a spectacular view of the ocean.

Team SRF reach the summit


Despite most of the Gong riders being Extreme Cyclists, wearing hideous lycra tights and clipping themselves onto their bicycles, my friend Jenny and I were determined to fly the flag for European-style bicycle commuter chic. I cycled in a frock and Jenny rode her stylish ladies' road bike. We received many comments as we rode along!

Flying the cycle chic flag


Our wonderful friends met us at the finish line, where they'd set up picnic blankets, brought chicken schnitzel, potato salad, and an esky full of beer. A well-earned rest at the end, after 6 and a half hours on the road (okay so we stopped for morning tea and lunch, but still, it was arduous!)

The support crew


Then John strapped all of our bikes to the back of his ute and we drove back to Sydney. Team SRF raised more than $9,000, and despite three flat tyres and a broken chain, we all arrived in Woollongong in one piece.

Avoiding the long ride home


I felt a great sense of achievement and am really glad I did the ride. I sincerely thank all of you who sponsored me, and for those of you who didn't because you doubted my ability to finish, there's still time!

Woot! We all finished!


So this year I've done a 14k run, a 90k bike ride -- I think next up is an Ocean Swim challenge!

cx

No comments: