Sunday, 18 January 2009

All Tomorrow's Parties

After spending the first couple of weeks of 2009 housebound I'm finally on the mend and able to start thinking about the year ahead. My confinement was made even more torturous by the fact that it's been gloriously sunny 35+ degrees every day and I was glued to the sofa with only a chink of blue sky to observe out of the window!

Well this week I wandered down to the beach for some restorative sea air and made it to the Tamarama headlands for some ocean breeze and inspiration. Every day there is a distinct improvement in my back, less pain and more flexibility.

Catching the evening sun


I also managed to leave my suburb of Bondi for the first time in 2009, and have finally been able to enjoy some of what the Sydney Festival has to offer. On Tuesday I saw a play at the Sydney Theatre Company called Rabbit. This is a new piece of writing by an English woman called Nina Raine which premiered in London at the Old Red Lion Theatre in 2006. Transposed to Sydney, it features a range of characters in their late-20s, early-30s getting drunk in a bar, revealing the various twists of their relationships and preoccupations with contemporary society. I thoroughly enjoyed this witty observation of modern life, and the audience was roaring with laughter all the way through. It featured some fine young Australian actors who are definitely ones to watch.

Toby Schmitz in Rabbit


Then, as a throwback to my youth, I ventured into the city on Friday night to see Throwing Muses, a band I saw many years ago, probably at The Duchess in Leeds, fronted by angsty songstress Kristin Hersh. In fact I remember teaching myself her song 'Beestung' on the piano many years ago... She was great, and I was reminded how gorgeous Sydney is in January, listening to great music under the stars, on a warm summer's evening. I had to be careful with my back so I wasn't right in the throng, but I still had a great view.

Kristin Hersh at the Becks Bar


Then, the highlight of my week was something I've been long-awaiting: All Tomorrow's Parties! This is a music festival that started in the UK, where they hold it in the Butlin's holiday resort, and each year a musician is asked to curate the line-up, rather than just a jumble of current bands as per usual festivals. Transposed to Sydney, ATP had a gorgeous venue -- Cockatoo Island in the middle of the harbour! This is an old shipbuilding island which still has many of the original buildings, cranes and industrial machines lying around, v atmospheric! The Biennale hosted some video art there in June. We took a boat over to the island where four different stages featured a range of acts curated by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, who then headlined the night. It was a gorgeous day, the venue was perfect, the beer was great and the music was awesome. Although I kept away from the front of the crowds as I was still cautious about my back, I really enjoyed the festival, and am so glad ATP has finally made it to Australia! Can't wait for 2010...

With Stephie on the top of Cockatoo Island


My friends Simon and Josh getting excited for Spiritualized


Nick Cave, honest


So I've seen two Australian greats within a month: Kylie and Nick Cave! And I'm glad to be getting my energy back. I've seen a couple of physiotherapists who have given me adjustments and various exercises to do, and I'm now an outpatient at St Vincents, going back every week to see the physio. It was strange going back to the hospital where I'd spend NYE, as it felt much calmer and more pleasant, and there was some fantastic art on the walls which I hadn't noticed the first time around (must have been the morphine!), so I'm looking forward to slowly getting back to work and normality. Sydney Festival fun is certainly helping take my mind off it, at least!

cx

1 comment:

bbyo said...

Arghhh lucky you to have nick cave!! UK ATP is moved to minehead (I don't know whether its same thing), weird but damn interesting place to be. Another one is coming in May, and I'm all booked and packed already;o haha