Saturday, 6 December 2008

Communication channels

I'm beginning to realise the true implications of firmly making a second country (hemisphere) my home. I now have friends in many different places and sometimes feel torn about where I want to be. I'm sure this feeling will become more acute when I visit the UK in August. However, I'm now forming bizarre and various ways of interacting with the different groups of people in my life. Over here, as summer arrives in earnest, I'm mooching on the beach during the day with friends, hanging out on warm summer evenings in parks and on people's balconies, lurking in dark air-conditioned cinemas when it all gets too much, and looking forward to the barmy Christmas season and January's artistic hedonism.

Meanwhile, I keep Skype opened behind my work while in the office, occasionally grabbing 5 minutes with my UK friends when they're about to go to bed and I'm just beginning my day. I tweet, dopplr and I'm LinkedIn. I keep up with people's incidental news via Facebook, I watch people's babies grow up on flickr. Occasionally (and I hear your grumbles that this is not frequent enough!) I write a big long catch up email, and even more occasionally put pen to paper, and send a surprise parcel across the world. For my technophobe friends this means communication is dwindling, and I have made a pact to visit the Northern Hemisphere at least once every 18 months from now on. Three years is just too long, people are going to forget what I look like! So... August 2009, and Christmas 2010. Definitely.



Luckily I have impending visitors to get excited about. An old school friend Nick, who's now on tour with Kylie, arrives next week. Heidi and Manu are visiting from Singapore in January. I believe Sheila will make an appearance sometime in the New Year, and others have threatened... Come on over!

(Oh and by the way I have short hair now...)

cx

1 comment:

samncnabbuk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.