Sunday, 14 December 2008

Croquet and Pimms dahling

As you Northern Hemisphere types freeze your socks off in the run up to Christmas I'm thoroughly enjoying the summer sun and the lovely chilled out pastimes it brings. Yesterday I wandered down to Strickland House in Vaucluse where a friend of mine holds his birthday gathering each year, for a spot of Pimms and a game of croquet. How civilised.

Croquet on the lawn


The house is in a wonderful spot, on the side of the harbour, looking back at the city and the Harbour Bridge. Angus bagsyed a gazebo early in the morning and made watermelon cocktails, and we spent the day mooching about, played with the kids, holding a backgammon tournament and, of course, playing croquet.

Our little spot near the gazebo


Hanging with the kids


Croquet is a far more evil game than I had imagined, but we remained sportsmanlike and I happily came third, not bad out of seven.

The view from Strickland House across the harbour


We also took solace from the 34-degree heat by taking a dip in the water, lovely and calm as we were harbour-side not ocean-side.

Strickland House in the evening sun


Although I may be gloating about the weather I am, once again, finding it extremely hard to feel at all Christmassy, what with the warm summer evenings and the lack of snow, scarves, socks, etc. It's amazing how much that festive feeling is a result of the nights drawing in and the weather getting colder. Christmas in July anyone?

Down by the water in the evening sun


Perhaps that's just my excuse for having not yet posted my Christmas prezzies, thus ensuring once again that they arrive some time in January. Oh dear...

More Croquet and Pimms pics are here.

cx

No comments: