Sunday, 22 November 2009

Spring pursuits

Summer is definitely on its way -- today reached the high 30s and there's little respite from the heat apart from plunging into a cold pool or the ocean. And foolishly, today I made two Christmas puddings, boiling them on the stove for a total of 9 hours, adding to the humidity of the house and preventing any hope of cooling it down. Can't wait to eat them though, I'm sure once they're soaked in brandy and covered in sauce they'll be yummy.

One of my favourite things about Spring in Bondi is the Sculpture by the Sea exhibition. This is where artists from around the world are invited to contribute works to be displayed on the stunning Bondi-Tamarama clifftop walk. Many artists create works which skilfully integrate with the landscape, or play with the setting.

The Big Drink


My friends and I ventured to Tama a couple of weeks ago to check the sculptures out, and here are my pics.



Skull made of plastic bottles


Giant soy sauce packet!


Mushrooms








This was one of my favourites. It looked different from every angle










These ones were done in the style of the existing signage, very funny








In other news, I'm loving the new job! It's great to finally have a job where the hours aren't crazy and the people are lovely -- there's a lot to do and I have great ambitions for the place, but it's all achievable and I have the support and respect of those around me to actually do my job, which is fantastic. The first month has been great -- I've launched the new brand, the 2010 season, and am deep into planning for next year.

The jacaranda tree in the uni quadrangle


My new office is located in the heart of the University of Sydney campus, and the other day Christina and I went to a tour around some of the wonderful buildings, let by a chap who explained the history of the buildings and the architecture. The main university quadrangle buildings are inspired by Oxford and Cambridge, and the Great Hall is stunning.

I don't think there are many kookaburra gargoyles in Oxford though...


So things are settling down now, I'm happy and healthy here, and catching up with my friends in the evenings and weekends. I'm looking forward to having two weeks off over Christmas, and thinking of maybe going away over new years. Hope you're all still well!

Can you see me in the sculpture?!


cx

No comments: