Wednesday, 6 December 2006

Settling in

Well it’s been raining all weekend – home from home! I can’t believe I left almost all my winter clothes behind – it’s quite cold. Hmmm. I left my boots, my winter coats, my jumpers – everything! Actually, now that I’m here and trying to set up a place that feels like home, I’ve realised that I’ve totally brought all the wrong things with me. Oh, to start my packing over again!

So, to update, I’ve found a place to live – in Darlinghurst, really central, and it’s a lovely three-bed terrace house. It’s about a 20 minute walk to work, so I should get to know the city pretty quickly, and it’s near loads of great cafes, restaurants, delis, boutiques, and of course late night drinking and dancing establishments. Hurrah. My housemates both seem really lovely – both very fashionable girls – they’ve already taken me under their wing and took me to a party last night so I met lots of other friendly stylish types. Plus I went to a film distributor’s Christmas party on Thursday so I’m slowly widening my net of contacts. It’s a great time of year to be new in town – everyone’s having their Christmas party. I shall just have to go to all of them, and attempt to remember everyone’s name.

Work’s good so far – will update more on that another time – and I’ve done all the other boring things like got an Australian mobile phone, a bank account (soooo easy!), and taken the obligatory trip to IKEA to make my little unfurnished room look less bare.

So, a week in and am still so excited about getting to know this great city/country – starting with my local area. The coffee’s great, the weather’s lovely, and the people are chilled.

More anon,
cx

No comments: