Judging by the emails I’ve received lately, I seem to have inadvertently sown some seeds of misconception regarding my lifestyle here in Oz. Despite my enthusiasm for the Christmas party season, I am also finding my little healthy pleasures, creating a mini-Stoke Newington vibe right here in Darlinghurst. I’ve found my local swimming pool – a fantastic Olympic sized pool called Cook and Philip Park (although apparently there’s a nickname for it coined by the locals who use it as a pick up joint, but that’s unrepeatable here as young cousins are reading). This has been the scene of my morning swim, and it makes my old pool in Covent Garden look like someone’s bathtub.
I’ve also discovered the ‘Fresh n Wild’ equivalent, which is called Macro. It’s a lovely health food shop in Bondi junction and stocks all the usual eco washing up stuff, hummus and wheat free museli etc – home from home! I’m having to totally re-educate myself though when it comes to food miles – I’ve always tried to buy food as locally sourced as possible so my food hasn’t emitted loads of carbon flying round the world – but of course even ‘Italy’ isn’t in any way local any more, and I’m scrutinising unfamiliar packages for the ‘Australian made’ signs, although lots of them are very confusing as they feature ‘Made in Australia from local and imported ingredients’ Hmmm. Why not just put ‘Made in Australia from ingredients’? Anyway, you can get pretty much everything you need and source it from Australia, and I have to say the mangoes and avocados here are like none I have ever tasted in my life – they are delicious, and in season, so everywhere at the moment. I think I might overdose!
I’m on my laptop at the moment, in bed, it’s almost midnight, and I’m listening to Mark Kermode on the podcast – my little link with the UK – it’s like I can carry Kermode in my pocket even on the other side of the world. What a lovely thought.
Night night.
cx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment