
As soon as I got off the plane I knew that I'd acclimatised to Sydney's weather. I could barely breathe in without gasping for air! Then as London was gripped with minus 8 degree weather and snow-thunderstorms I know that my wish had been answered, but oh how unprepared I was. Even bringing the winter clothes I haven't worn for 4 years was not enough, and I indulged in some Zara knitwear while shopping in London.


But it was such fun, driving round the country in the snow. Unfortunately it killed the trains from King's Cross so my wonderful Ma had to drive down South to pick me up, but it was all worth it. Rolling white hills and frosted trees, what a picture.

Christmas eve was spent in York, a tradition that I still adore, as the streets are so 'Ye Olde England' and the vibe is so Dickensian. Grandma laid on a fabulous spread, including her famous Jamaican Tart, and it was lovely to see Trish, Sam and Sarah looking so well. I also got some fabulous presents, which was a nice bonus, and I enjoyed giving gifts I'd brought from Australia. I also got to have a huge trek across the Yorkshire Wolds with Pa, which was certainly intrepid. We saw hare, pheasant, deer and all sorts. Beautiful, if a little cold.





Then on Christmas morning Pippa drove us across the country to Paddy and Lorraine's, where a feast was being prepared. A large table for Christmas, a gorgeous meal, some giddy prezzie opening and a fabulous game of charades (that seemed to go on forever, what fun!) Not forgetting the Queen's Speech of course.




More visiting was completed on Boxing Day, with the obligatory game of Liars' Dice. Much fun was had by all. I think I shall leave it another five years before I have a UK Christmas, because the absence makes the whole thing so much more of a novelty, and therefore five times as enjoyable. What a special time. Thanks to everyone who helped make it so.

cx

No comments:
Post a Comment