Sunday, 7 November 2010

The race that stops a nation

In the UK I grew up with the Grand National -- an annual horse race that people got fairly excited about, and even people not of a gambling persuasion would have a little flutter. In the sports-obsessed nation which is now my home, we have The Melbourne Cup, nicknamed 'The Race that Stops a Nation'. Literally, in the case of Victoria, where the day is a public holiday.

A number of traditions abound for the Melbourne Cup, including that the ladies wear fascinators (silly feather-type things in their hair). This year I decided to fully embrace the day, and donned a cute frock, pink fascinator, and scored myself an invitation to lunch with the Masons. Yes, those types of masons!

Properly attired for Melbourne Cup


There's a chap who works on Stage Door at the theatre who's a pretty established gambler, so I knew he'd have a good tip for the Melbourne Cup. As I left the building I asked his advice, and he said 'Americain is definitely going to win', with such conviction that I placed a $5 bet on the horse on the way to lunch, despite the fact that it wasn't a favourite and none of the pre-race discussions on the TV mentioned this horse.

Come on Americain! Move yer bloomin' arse!


Champagne on arrival, and a divine lunch awaited, including oysters, lobster, and beautiful little cakes. The race itself is just before 3pm, and is over in, ooh, about 3 minutes!

Lobster


Yum!


And would you believe it, Americain won! Huzzah! My first ever little flutter and I won myself $85 back... Hope I don't develop a taste for this!

Collecting my winnings


cx

No comments: