Saturday, 15 November 2008

The birds! The birds!

I have to share something with you that is currently making my life absolute hell, dear readers, and that is... the birds. Yes, Spring has sprung, and with it has come a dawn chorus to make even the most ardent twitcher homicidal. At approximately 5am each day, I am awoken by a cacophony of parrots, cockatoos, kookaburras, or koels.




Now the last bird I mentioned is an interesting case. Around the end of September, the koel starts to call out for a mate. Its call is a kind of woop, which ascends in pitch and is repeated ad infinitum. (Hear it here.) This bird wakes up around 8am and woops until about 5pm for approximately one month, until he finds a mate. At the weekends his wooping was driving me insane, and I asked Jenny at work (a dedicated twitcher) when it would stop. She assured me they usually find a mate by the end of October. I was placated.

But this goddamn koel, which has conveniently taken residence in the tree outside our house, has still not found a mate, and is now getting desperate. His cry is becoming increasingly intense, and he has extended his hours: he now woops persistently from 5am until 8pm.

Melissa and I are sorely tempted to go outside and put him out of his misery, either by shooting him off his perch, or bribing some female koel to shack up with him and tell him to shut up.

This is what I have to contend with. Pah.

cx

1 comment:

Liz and Keith ......on the beach said...

This is sooooooo funny you mad woman!! But I know how you feel, we have a load of noisy Bl**dy magpies outside our bedroom window.........maybe get a pea shooter, could be fun! Mum X