Monday, 31 December 2007

The Royal Visitation Continues…

Most of the activity thus far has revolved around food, with the occasional beachy element thrown in (usually combined with seafood). I think I shall dedicate an entire post-visit blog entry to ‘Meals What We Had’ for your culinary pleasure. Bet you can’t wait for that one. Quick update on the breakfast challenge: new front-runner was this morning’s brekkie at Jed’s, a Jamaican cafĂ© in North Bondi, well worth the walk I reckon. Mum and Keith were impressed by the eggs benedict, and I’m back on the bircher. Mum has been very adventurous and tried Sushi, which she’s never had before, and Kangaroo, which she was a little cautious about. Still living to tell the tale…

Christmas dinner: the starter



So after our prawns and fish as an unconventional Christmas dinner, mum, Keith and I ventured north of Bondi to South Head on Boxing Day, to watch the annual Sydney to Hobart Yacht race begin. This area of Sydney is extremely wealthy, with houses going for a fair few million, and many of the locals owning yachts as well as cars. Instead of following the crowds and baking ourselves in the midday sun, we sensibly retired to Doyles restaurant, enjoying the view across the harbour over mussels, barramundi and a crisp sauv blanc. Stylish.

Me and Mum in Watson's Bay (Doyles top left)


The Yachts set off towards Hobart, Tasmania



Mum had brought over some Christmas presents from back home – Pippa got me some fab leopard print slippers (check them out here), Grandma had sent a gorgeous brooch and Granny sent me the new Alan Bennett book which I devoured on a bus ride home yesterday, chuckling all the way!

Breakfast in Bronte


Walking through Waverley Cemetary with our beach gear



After Christmas I and some of my girlfriends took mum and Keith on the clifftop walk again, this time going further and reaching Clovelly, where there’s a great inlet (slightly calmer than Bronte!) and lots of fish and exciting things to see while snorkelling. It was essentially so that Christina could try out her new snorkelling gear, but Keith and I also had a go and it was great fun, although a rather strange sensation, and I really need to practice so I don’t keep trying to breathe through my nose.

Christina tries her new snorkel gear



Yesterday we wandered round The Rocks, one of the oldest areas in Sydney and the only place in the whole city where you can get beer than resembles anything you would get in the UK (ie warm). We wandered round the markets, looked at some of the fantastic buildings and old warehouses (reminiscent of East London and several English port towns architecturally) and ate in my favourite pub in The Rocks, The Australian.

The Australian



My housemates and I are all very excited because it seems a Kookaburra has moved in to our garden. These are quite large square birds which have an incredible call – it really is like a laugh. Check out a clip here. We’ve called him Kevin after our new Prime Minister.

Kevin the Kookaburra sitting on our steps



Tonight we’re braving the throngs and going to Sydney Harbour to watch the fireworks… Should be lots of fun. We’ll be cheering in the new year a good 11 hours ahead of most of you, ner ner.

(PS pics of the royal visit are in a set here. Will add more as the days go by.)

cx

No comments: