Sunday, 15 July 2007

4 Days of Flu and a Wedding

Happy wedding wishes from Down Under to Adam and Jill, for their picnic wedding in South London. I was hoping to walk by the sea and take a lovely sunny picture of me toasting your wedded bliss, to have on here as a ‘happy wedding’ message, but unfortunately I contracted the flu virus on Wednesday and have been in bed since then, s.u.f.f.e.r.i.n.g, I can tell you! Gosh, have you ever had the flu for real? I felt like I’d been hit by a truck – it was very scary. I spent two days in bed totally incapable of doing anything but moaning and worrying I was about to die. Then I spent $65 for 10 minutes with the doctor to be told it was the flu and I was still contagious and needed to stay in bed for another two days. Money well spent, I feel. She also told me off for refusing to take drugs and not eating for two days, and insisted I buy some heavy-duty flu tablets and chicken soup to help ward it off. Plus a disgusting thing called ‘powerade’: an unnatural-looking red drink which rehydrates you, apparently. After three days I progressed from my bed to the sofa, complete with doona (Australian for duvet) and hot-water-bottle, where Christina and I ploughed through eight episodes of The West Wing. Nothing like a bit of witty political intrigue to ward off illness, I reckon.

The flu that I caught



Due to the flu I have achieved very little recently, so have nothing interesting to write about (unless you want an analysis of the inner workings of the White House). I’m still convalescing – still feel weak and achy. Now that my headache is easing I’m catching up on emails, and Christina’s surfing ebay for vintage America Tourista suitcases.

Oh, and if you’re ever ill, I don’t recommend you look up your symptoms on the internet. I found Influenza on Wikipedia and it didn’t exactly fill me with comfort.

cx

2 comments:

Liz and Keith ......on the beach said...

Hope you are feeling better honey. Has the shipment I sent arrived yet? with your quilt? and hot water bottle? and winter boots? It seems funny that you will need them in Australia. Big Hug from us both in Corfu, I like it hot....but this is HOT!! Missing you X
Mum n Keef

Lorraine said...

Hello Carmel,
Love reading your blog, you write so well. Is there a book in there somewhere?
Hope your over your nasty flu bug. We are all good here in not so sunny Scotland, I mean Newcastle - weird that.
Managed to get to my first Wimbledon this year (it's Paddy's last year) for the men's final, what a fantastic day and then to the Savoy in the evening for the Champions Ball, a perfect end to a perfect day.
Back to reality now after a very hectic couple of weeks.
Take care sweetie
Love Lorraine & Paddy
xxx