Thursday, 15 February 2007

Sex and the Single Sydneysider

Well I’ve been criticised lately for only putting the fun parts of my life on the blog. There’s none of the ‘I stayed in and watched shit TV with a ready meal’ type stuff. Of course not, I wouldn’t go near any food that wasn’t homemade or organic, and I’m far too much of a social butterfly to have watched even 5 minutes of Australian television. But here’s your fix, you schadenfreuders… Happy Valentine’s Day.

Never a fan of the greetings-card-creation that is valentine’s day, and single in a new city, I planned a quiet night in cooking dinner for my singleton girlfriends, Jaya, Ruci and Rachel. I baked some barramundi, roasted some sweet potato and pumpkin, and Jaya cooked up some brocollini and green beans in sesame seeds on the side. All while quaffing copious amounts of New Zealand sauv blanc and discussing in great depth our various relationship failures.

On the way to the corner shop to get ice cream for with dessert, I noticed that everyone out on the town was either an adoringly devoted gay couple or a stunningly beautiful and well-dressed group of 25-35-year-old women. This is Darlinghurst, people. There is a drought of eligible straight single men. They’re thinking of raising our taxes and doing something to remedy this.

Then we four gorgeous single twentysomethings capped off the night eating home-made banana bread (wheat-free!) with vanilla ice-cream, watching vintage episodes of Sex and the City (season 2 – we’re jumping around all over the place, it’s so confusing, Carrie’s back with Big) and instead of laughing at how tragic these women were, we were groaning in knowing collusion with their lives.

L-R Jaya, Rachel, Carmel and Ruci


So, to remedy this, I’m off to the Opening Night of the Mardi Gras Film Festival tomorrow, and I’m gonna have me some FUN. Now, what frock shall I wear?…

cx

2 comments:

Liz and Keith ......on the beach said...

Seems it won’t matter what frock you wear????? Cos non of the blokes will be looking at the girls!!!
How frustrating!
But still wear a boob revealing one anyway!! It’s much more fun!
X
Love Mum
X

Carmel said...

Wow, thanks mum. If only mothers across the globe gave their daughters such valuable advice, the world would indeed be a better place.

:-)