Friday, 26 January 2007

Cabaret, crackers and customised gnomes

Another week of the Sydney Festival! For those of you bored of hearing about this, there's only one more weekend, so hold on. February brings Chinese New Year, then in March it's the Mardi Gras, so there's plenty to look forward to.

Anyway, the next event I managed to go to (thankfully someone else queued from 6.30am for me this time, hurrah) was La Clique at the Famous Spiegeltent. I didn't realise what pedigree this space held, until I read that Marlene Dietrich herself sang on the stage in this very tent. So with awe and reverence I again stepped forth into the antique mirrored haven. Photography is not allowed, but check out the pics on www.spiegeltent.net for an idea. La Clique was fantastic - a mixture of cabaret, burlesque, vaudeville and the circus. I did have to turn my head away when the Norwegian guy managed to climb through a 10 inch tennis racquet (flashbacks of Cowburn's print-weekend coathanger trick with added gruesome double-jointedness!). But there was plenty of eye candy and nudity, which is always a bonus.

On Sunday I dragged Christina, Jasmine and Martin out West to see 'The World Famous' firework display, Crackers. This was an awesome experience, as we were surrounded by the fireworks rather than watching them from afar - and many of them exploded above us, which was quite unnerving. Plus there were people with fireworks attached to them (see pic) which was very Wicker Man, and eerie. Venturing to the 'inner west' as it's called was quite an experience. I hadn't realised how much we benefit from the sea breeze, those of us who live in the 'eastern suburbs'. The further West you go in Sydney the further away from the sea you are, so when I got off the train at 7.30pm out west, it was like walking into a sauna! No breeze at all to take the edge off the heat. I don't think it's a trip I'll be making often...

A moving firework-wearing person


Last night I went out with the Frenchies to a gallery opening in Surry Hills. The guy who is launching his gallery space gave 100 artists each a garden gnome, which they had to customise for the occasion. There were some really creative ideas - my favourite was a video of a skateboarding gnome, and one encased in marble. Here are some more, although a bit blurry as I still haven't got used to using this camera, sorry.

Some customised gnomes


Another gnome


Speaking of pics, I've made my flickr page private, but it's easy to see my pics. Just create an account for free and I'll permission you to see them. I just came across some problems with people linking to my page.

My local 2nd hand bookshop, Berkolow Books - it's fab


Ok, gotta go. Today's Australia Day, so it's a public holiday, yay! It's a celebration of the slaughter of indigenous peoples by settling white Europeans or something (or just a celebration of the 'discovery' of this terra nullis) so I'm off to a barbecue, then to watch a Leonard Coen tribute movie, and then to see a Japanese beat box band at the Sydney Festival. Not much on then.

cx

No comments: